San Francisco Recognizes Healthy Nail Salons
San Francisco’s Healthy Nail Salon Program aims to reward nail salons that make safer choices for their employees, customers, and the environment. In December, San Francisco Board of Supervisors president David Chiu and director of the San Francisco Department of the Environment Melanie Nutter recognized eight San Francisco nail salons that achieved the city’s prestigious Healthy Nail Salon designation.
“With 250 salons across the city and over 2,200 technicians, it’s important that we work to protect their health and safety, as well as those who visit these businesses,” says Chiu. “I hope that consumers will look for the Healthy Nail Salon seal and support these salons with their business.”
To reduce exposure to potentially hazardous chemicals, the Healthy Nail Salon program requires that salons go through a rigorous checklist of safety measures including use of gloves by all technicians, installation of localized ventilation, hours of training for all employees, and choosing safer nail products.
“This program showcases our commitment to protecting workers and residents from exposure to toxic chemicals and is part of our core mission. We look forward to working with other cities and counties to share our model and advocate for the health of nail salon technicians,” says Nutter.
Recognized salons receive a plaque, collateral materials for customers, and promotion by the San Francisco Department of the Environment. The department will conduct a consumer education campaign alerting residents to look for the recognition seal when they are choosing a nail salon.
by Nails Magazine
- NAILS’ Continuum Giveaway Sparks Shock and Awe
- Nail Salon Dramedy Gets Picked Up by TNT
- Essie Announces Revamped Gel Line
- Savvy Salon: The Spa at Dollywood’s DreamMore Resort
- Happy 40th Anniversary Orly!
- POLISH Artisan Nails to Participate in Celebrity Gift Lounge in Honor of 2016 Golden Globe Nominees
- Medinail Offers Free Training and Accreditation
- A.I.I. Acquires Hollywood Fashion Secrets
- NAILS Parent Company Buys Modern Salon Media
- HIRING EVENT FOR NEW NAIL SALON!!! (North Charleston)