Connecticut Department of Labor uncovers unpaid wages to nail salon workers
WETHERSFIELD, Conn. (WTNH) — State officials with the Connecticut Department of Labor have issued Stop Work orders to several nail salons across the state after receiving complaints about their employment practices.
The Workplace Standards Division of the Department of Labor recently investigated 25 nail salons across the state. Those investigations resulted in the issuance of Stop Work orders and shutdown of 23 salons for wage violations.
According to State Labor Commissioner Sharon M. Palmer, as a result of these investigations the wage division recovered more than $47,350 in owed wages for the employees. These wages were primarily required for minimum wage payments. The Department of Labor said they expect to collect additional funds for these workers.
The salons were also given their share of $79,000 in penalties for under reporting payroll, and for paying their employees in cash. The salons were also responsible for $21,300 worth of wage and hour violations.
Officials made unannounced visits on August 3rd to these establishments, all of which resulted in Stop Work orders:
- La Nails
- American Nails
- Modern Nails
- Pink Nails
- Touch Nails
- Magic Nail and Spa
- Fashion Nail and Spa
- Outo Nails
- Fiji Nail Salon
- Cozy Nail Salon
- Classic Nails
- Lux Nails
- Simply Nails
- Oasis Nails
- Pretty Nail and Spa
- Sera Nail Salon
- Town Nails
- Simply Nails
Westport / Darien / Southport
- Posh Nail and Spa (3 locations)
- Queen Nail and Spa
- Finger Nails
According to state officials, investigators determined that workers were being paid in cash with no payroll records, wages were below the minimum wage of $9.15 per hour, and no overtime payment was being provided. Some of the salons also did not have proper worker’s compensation coverage.
All 23 salons are now in compliance with state workplace laws and have been allowed to resume operations, state officials confirmed to News 8 Monday.
from link: www.wtnh.com
- NAILS’ Continuum Giveaway Sparks Shock and Awe
- Nail Salon Dramedy Gets Picked Up by TNT
- Essie Announces Revamped Gel Line
- Savvy Salon: The Spa at Dollywood’s DreamMore Resort
- Happy 40th Anniversary Orly!
- POLISH Artisan Nails to Participate in Celebrity Gift Lounge in Honor of 2016 Golden Globe Nominees
- Medinail Offers Free Training and Accreditation
- A.I.I. Acquires Hollywood Fashion Secrets
- NAILS Parent Company Buys Modern Salon Media
- HIRING EVENT FOR NEW NAIL SALON!!! (North Charleston)